Friday, April 24, 2020

Virtual Travel

Most days I try to get in a sketch with the #VirtualSketch group on Facebook. I'll download a few photos from Google Maps Street View and then come back to them later to see if something moves me. This was a sketch of a restaurant in Colmar, France. Looks like a nice place for lunch or dinner.


Today the group was sketching in Baguio City, in the Philippines. I have this attraction to houses that have laundry hanging out. Maybe it takes me back to our clothesline behind our house growing up. With a full house with 5 kids, my parents, my grandparents and my uncle we had a lot of clothing to hang out to dry. We didn't get a dryer until my sister got her first job and started giving extra money to my parents. But my mom still liked hanging the sheets out to dry.


7 comments:

  1. Great sketches, Joan! Wow! Your parents had a full house! I have nice memories of jumping into bed with fresh sheets that had been line dried:) I can understand why that spot attracted you. And the restaurant - looks like lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris! Line dried sheets always smelled so fresh.

      Delete
  2. BEAUTIFUL watercolor of the restaurant in France. I love the way the flowers hang over the door. SO well done. And you had a lot of patience hanging all the laundry...when I first got married in Brooklyn, I always hung my laundry out ...you never forget the smell when you brought them in. VERY nice sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilda. There are so many places in Europe where the laundry is still hung out. It is done so rarely here.

      Delete
  3. These are both great paintings Joan.I like the look of the laundry hanging out too although I don't do it anymore. The french cafe looks charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val. LOL We've gotten so spoiled with our dryers here. I don't mind hanging it out when we travel.

      Delete
  4. I love the restaurant sketch. I long to sit in a restaurant and be waited on!

    The laundry house is great. I still hang our sheets outside weather permitting. Jennie asked me, “What kind of softener do you use, the sheets smell so good!"

    ReplyDelete