Friday, April 3, 2020

Pandemic Life

I hope all of you are coping with the restrictions from the pandemic. It seems like there is something new we need to prepare for every day. Listening to the news yesterday it seemed that it wouldn't be long before those of us on the outer edge of NYC would be wearing masks when we went outside. Of course you can't buy them anywhere right now. So I looked at some of the patterns to make them and decided I should be able to do it and be prepared. 
My sewing machine has been giving me problems for years, and I end up more frustrated than anything if I try to use it. My friend, Susan, gave me some advice a long while ago about the way the needle was facing but of course I never bothered to see if what she said would work. So I decided instead to hand sew the mask. I didn't want to go out to a store to buy the material (and increase my chance of exposure) so I checked to see what I already had that I could use. Luckily I found a pillow case that has no matching sheets, and I used that for the material...not fancy but it did the job. I gathered all my supplies and cut and sewed for about 2 hours this morning...and I had success. Of course I could never mass produce these but it will suffice for now. Here is a sketch after I finished sewing.


And here's a sketch of me wearing my creation. Several friends told me I should paint a design on it, but I'm not sure what I will do.


3 comments:

  1. Great sketches. Always nice to “see” you.

    I did the same yesterday, checked videos for the “how to” and thought about what I had I could use. Then Gene found some old ones we had left from the fire so we have a few of those while I make some washable ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I had one that I was using when I did the alcohol ink tiles, but I wasn't sure I could wash it. This should work better.

      Delete
  2. Your post almost made me cry Joan! My daughter who is an RN has one mask to her name. She's hoping they will give her another one before she goes back to work next week. She's recovering from the Coronavirus so she wants to be prepared....My friend who lives across the street is making masks so she's giving me a few for my daughter... My sewing machine broke and I do have another one that my friend gave me but I'm not used to it but if I have to do it by hand I will and deliver it to my daughter (drop it on her stoop lol) Your sketch of yourself wearing the mask is wonderful. PLEASE take care, my friend.

    ReplyDelete