Sunday, April 19, 2020

NYC Usk Hunt in NYC

The NYC Urban Sketchers had our weekend event today and it was a little different. Our organizer, Mark, gave us a list of 25 things to find on the streets of NYC using Googlemaps Streetview. As a New Yorker it was easy for me to find some of the things, but I would imagine that someone from another state or country would have a little more difficulty.  My first sketch was a firehouse with a fire  truck included.


Then I was off to find an ethnic restaurant so I headed to Chinatown.


Another item to find was a $1 pizza place. None of them had a good view, so I ended up doing a 99 cent pizza place instead.


Last I went looking for a food cart. This is my husband's favorite food cart in the city. Usually in the evening there are lines down the block...and often limo drivers pull up and order something too.


In case you are wondering what else was on the hunt list, here it is. Maybe I'll try doing a few more during the week.
THE MANHATTAN V-SKETCH HUNT

1) Find and draw a sculpture of a bull.

2) Find and draw a boat or ship docked in the waters of NYC.
3) Find and draw something art deco.
4) Find and draw a NYC Taxi.
5) Find and draw a doorman
6) Find and draw an ethnic restaurant.
7) Find and draw a bridge
8) Find and draw a view of another state visible from NYC
9) Find and draw a scene that shows the streets being repaired.
10) Find and draw a fire house, include a firetruck if you can.
11) Find and draw an American Flag on a NYC building
12) Find and draw a street vendor
13) Find and draw a famous place
14) Find and draw a steakhouse
15) Find and draw someone wearing religious clothing
16) Find and draw a store that sells CBD products.
17) Find and draw Hamilton’s Custom House
18) Find and draw a statue of George Washington
19) Find and draw an art school
20) Find and draw a famous bar in NYC that is at least 150 years old
21) Find and draw a carousel (Manhattan only)
22) Find and draw the burial place of a US President
23) Find and draw a statue of a real woman (i.e. a statue of Michelle Obama would be acceptable, a statue of Justice is not acceptable since it’s not a real person)
24) Find and draw a $1 Pizza store.
25 Find and draw a police horse.-


8 comments:

  1. Your sketches are wonderful, Joan! The firehouse is my favorite:)
    And this hunt list would keep me busy for a month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL If I did all the items it would probably take me a month too. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. It was a dizzying list to start with and a time killer to find in GMaps but your choices were all wonderful! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily as NYers we had an advantage and could think about where we could find some of the items. It was fun! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Super sketches Joan but I gotta say those prompts look challenging especially 15 in these 'Stay at home' times. Good luck with doing more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks. Some of them are more challenging than others.

      Delete
  4. Wow, Joan. Super sketches. You know where to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4 AMAZING sketches, Joan. Four of your best. Chinatown is of course, my favorite. Its wonderful that you don't let "isolation" keep you home. I'm ready to bust out of my house. lol Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete