Saturday, April 25, 2020

Portrait Party & Digital Sketch

For today's NYC Urban Sketchers event we had a portrait party. We've done them quite a few times IRL but today's event was organized on Zoom. Anyone who wanted to attend who didn't know how to use it was tutored by someone who did so that everyone was ready. We all met in the Zoom "auditorium" where Mark welcomed everyone and explained what we would be doing. There was a morning sketch event and an afternoon event. We were split up into random groups of anywhere between 6-8 sketchers and sent off to our meeting room. Each person in the group posed for a 10 minute sketch. My morning group only had 6 people so we finished a bit early. That gave us time to chat with each other and share the sketches we had done. A few of our group were people I am friendly with but some were new to me. One woman was from Calgary. I sketched out each portrait with a water-soluble graphite pencil, and then went over that with permanent ink. Then I added watercolor on top. Here are my sketches from the morning.






At 11:55 we all went back to the "auditorium." Some people went and had lunch, some posted their sketches, and some of us just hung out there talking because it was the first time many of us had seen each other since social isolation began. It was fun to catch up with everyone.
After the lunch break those of us who stayed for the afternoon session or who had just joined for the afternoon session were assigned to another breakaway group meeting to sketch. This time there were 7 people in my group so I got to sketch a total of 11 people. Here are my afternoon sketches...remember each of these was created in 10 minutes.







Of course we were indoor sketching on one of the nicest days we've had in nearly 2 weeks. As soon as we were done with the portraits I headed out for a ride down to Hecksher State Park in Islip. I sat facing the water and sketched with ArtRage on my iPad. Some people were on the sand enjoying the sunshine on one of those orange inflatable cushions. There were a lot of people down by the bay, but for the most part they were in small groups and keeping distant from other people. I didn't get out of my car...just sat with the window open and let the sun shine in.


8 comments:

  1. Oh, these are wonderful. Did you put the watercolor on in the 10 minutes as well? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I did each sketch complete with the watercolor in ten minutes.

      Delete
  2. So many Impressive portraits, Joan. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilda. I do better if I work on portraits quickly. The more time I give to them the less they look like the person. lol

      Delete
  3. The portraits are amazing Joan - ain't technology grand!. I like the beach sketch too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks so much! It was a lot of fun sketching with the group and being able to socialize too.

      Delete
  4. What a great event Joan. Your portraits are wonderful. I am not up to speed on Zoom but reading that many folks are using this program. So glad to see that others were enjoying the beach. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thank you. I had to learn to use Zoom for something not art related, but it has been really good for art too. Take care.

      Delete