Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Inktober 2022 - Day 11 Weeks Boat Yard & Lighthouse Painting

 A good sketching friend, Mel Barranco, often uses ballpoint pen when he sketches (especially people on his commute each morning), and I love what he does. My friend, Tina Koyama has been doing portrait sketching...often with ballpoint pen. After doing an entire sketch with ballpoint pen my hat is off to both of them. It is not easy! Filling in a solid color takes a lot of time. Using my Lamy is much easier. I don't think ballpoint pen will be my medium of choice.

This was done at one of my favorite sketching spots, Weeks Boat Yard. It may look familiar if you have followed my blog for any amount of time. There are great buildings and lots of boats that seem to move around regularly.


I have been able to get over to Robert Moses Beach on a few different nice, nearly summery days. 
I can sit and see the Fire Island Lighthouse from almost anywhere there.





3 comments:

  1. I do enjoy ballpoint, but I'm crosshatching, not filling in solid areas! I can see why that would be time-consuming! Love your lighthouse! Probably watercolor is so comforting after ballpoint, huh? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my brain needs the rest that the watercolors provide. lol

      Delete
  2. I like Pilot ball point pens. They seem to cause the least pills and smears. Your beach scene is so you. I like the lines on the boat yard.

    ReplyDelete