Monday, October 17, 2022

Lincoln Center and Inktober Day 16

 Yesterday I forgot to post!!! That's because I went to see my sister, Michelle who lives in New Jersey and her daughter and husband that were visiting from Oklahoma. I hadn't seen them in about 5 years. I left here early and got back late. Sorry about that. 

On Saturday the NYC Urban Sketchers were meeting in the area around Lincoln Center. Our first stop was the Holy Trinity Lutheran Church on the corner of Central Park West and W 65th Street. I always find churches and buildings like this difficult to sketch. We got there a little late so I had only about 30 minutes to do this sketch. I decided to let it be my Day 16 Inktober sketch and not worry about color.


Then we moved on to Lincoln Center itself. Aside from the fountain I don't find much there to be too exciting in the plaza. But there are a lot of people that sit at the edge of the fountain and they are always fun to sketch or paint. I did this directly in watercolor. I purposely did the fountain with the trees behind it to make the water stand out more. 


After a nice lunch and time chatting with some of the other sketchers I had time for one more sketch. I sat across the street in Dante Park and sketched the people in front of me and the view back toward Lincoln Center. It gave me a fun composition to work with.


When you are sketching outdoors you never know what will happen. When we got to the plaza I set myself up on my painting chair facing the fountain and Mark set himself up on his stool about 1/4 of the way around the plaza. A short while later a security guard came over to each of us and told us that we could sit on the stairs, or the structures that looked sort of like flat rocks, but we "couldn't use our own furniture." Later I found out that he went around to each of the sketchers that had their own "furniture." We've never had someone stop us from using stools or painting chairs before.









4 comments:

  1. Nice work, especially the fountain! Whoa, I have never heard of the "furniture" issue! Maybe other people have tried to bring in entire couches or beds. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Security guards are strange sometimes. lol Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Love the ink sketch of the church. The fountain does stand out. Always nice to see umbrellas and diners. I guess you create less traffic hazards sitting on the steps …. I don’t think so. Crazy rules people come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a strange comment to make. Did it make more sense to have people sitting on the ground? Thanks for your comment, Jo.

      Delete