Thursday, March 31, 2022

Modern Snack Bar

I did a second sketch for my concertina sketchbook while I was out on the north fork this weekend. 

The Modern Snack Bar in Aquebogue has been around since 1950 and this sign is an icon that people look for when driving along out there. I know I do. I sketched it once before but didn't have a good spot to sketch from and have wanted to go back and do it again. This time I sat at the end of a gas station/mini mart to get a good view. Whoever was working kept coming out to pump gas for the cars that pulled up and I guess he was wondering what I was doing. With the number of times I've passed this you would think I would be able to draw it in my sleep...but no. Even looking at it I started putting the color on with markers and realized I had done the entire arrow in black! Black marker isn't the easiest thing to cover up. When I got home I tried using red gouache to cover it but that didn't work. I ended up using red acrylic paint over the black. It isn't as bright of a red as it should be but I was happy that it worked at all because this sketch was on the back of the sketch from yesterday. I had already committed to sketching on the back side of the concertina. I guess I'm going to have to be a little more careful.

I was happy to see that even though the Modern Snack Bar hadn't yet opened for the season they keep their sign up to date with the current world situation.


 

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a very cool old sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding signs like this. They are so fun!

      Delete
  2. Very nice find and you did a great job “fixing” it. Your book is saved!

    ReplyDelete