Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Linen Shop

Back in the fall before Covid hit I had started an accordion sketchbook of scenes along the North Fork of Long Island. My original thought was to start with one view and then drive about 1 mile and sketch the next view I found, continuing until I reached Greenport, the last town along Route 25. Of course that wasn't so practical because often when I drove the next mile there wasn't anything scenic to sketch or there wasn't any place to park safely. So instead I sketched things that caught my attention as I drove along. The sketching in the book was halted due to Jerry's health and then the pandemic. I was staying home or at least staying much closer to home and it wasn't the right time to work on this. 

Recently when I thought about resuming the sketches I couldn't find the sketchbook! It was a book I had made and it had no cover yet. I had pretty much given up finding it when I discovered it hiding in a clear zip-lock bag right where I had been looking for it. Isn't it strange how that happens? Anyway over the weekend I drove out along Route 25 on the North Fork past the last location I had sketched and found the Bath & Linen Shop of Southold. It shares building space with Carol's Kid's Corner. I have to decide if I want to do additional sketches. There is only one blank page left and I haven't reached Greenport yet. Many people who use accordion sketchbooks also use the backs of the pages. I don't know if I want to do that. I like being able to see all the sketches when I stretch the book out. What do you think?



5 comments:

  1. If I were you, I'd continue on the back (as long as the paper is sturdy enough to paint on both sides). I think it would be cool to have it be 2-sided. Whatever you decide, I hope you do a video of it when it's done so we can see them all at once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. I just thought that if I ever wanted to display the sketchbook you can only see the one side. I will definitely try to do a video when it is finished.

      Delete
  2. I like both sides if you want one book for the trip or two books if you want a series. Aren’t I a big help? Gene says it’s odd how you find something in the last place you look. Happy you are getting out more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still not sure what to do. Maybe I'll just add a few pages to keep going.

      Delete
    2. Never had a sketchbook like that, guess you have a good idea. If you want to display it, one sided is best. Hmmm.

      Delete