Monday, March 7, 2022

One Week 100 People - Day 1

 For the 6th year Marc Holmes and Liz Steel have challenged artists to sketch 100 people in the span of 1 week. For some reason their week only lasts for 5 days. I've done this challenge several times before and I always enjoy it. It pushes me to do something that I need to practice anyway. I am finally relaxing enough that I will venture into the mall, but I'm still wearing my mask.

For Day 1 I headed over to the Smith Haven Mall in Lake Grove thinking that would be a great place to find a lot of people. Thinking ahead I knew I needed to find mall locations where people would be relatively still. First I headed to Barnes and Noble which is right outside the mall itself. I know there are small tables by the Starbucks Cafe and a window ledge by the magazines. (Yes, I've sketched there before.)


Next I headed to the Food Court. There were lots of subjects to sketch and I waited for people to sit down at a table which was an indication that they would be there for a while since they were eating. I completed 2 pages of sketches there.



On my way out of the mall I passed the Apple Store. There were charging stations right opposite the store and there were stools to sit on. They were just asking me to sit down and sketch weren't they? The Apple Store has captive models who stand for a long time checking out the iPhones and other merchandise.


I was able to complete 43 sketches in one day!!!


6 comments:

  1. Wow, you're almost half done! I guess I am, too (47, but I cheated and started on Saturday ;-) )! You found some great spots for WARM people sketching! I don't have a mall nearby anymore, but I might try a park tomorrow. A friend went to the library and sat by a window, and she said she could see a smoking area nearby. She said that was handy because smokers stay relatively still for at least a few minutes! Can't wait to see the rest of your 100!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't easy to find locations that are warm and have enough people to make it interesting.

      Delete
  2. Joan, super sketches. You found some great spots. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I had to brainstorm to come up with locations that work when the weather is still too cold to be outside.

      Delete
  3. Great planning yields success! I've no doubt you'll complete the challenge in 5 days. Great variety of lines and your subjects well chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good heaven a 100 people in a week, ...

    I did know about the challenge of 24 pleinair paintings in 24 hr. but I don't know which causes more effort.

    Good luck!!

    (If you don't mind I'll put you onto my artist blog list)

    ReplyDelete