Wednesday, January 7, 2015

30 Paintings in 30 Days - Day 7 - Clouds Over the Dunes

This is my Day 7 painting for Leslie's Saeta's "30 Paintings in 30 Days" challenge.
This painting was done en plein air yesterday from the front seat of my "portable studio." I had planned to go to Robert Moses State Park to paint something but there was construction going on on the last bridge, so I turned off at the exit for Captree State Park instead. The clouds yesterday were gorgeous, so I just painted a few of them over the dunes by the parking area. This is 5 x 7.

Clouds Over the Dunes by Joan Tavolott

This challenge is having a bit of a positive effect on me. I find I am using much stronger colors in the sky than I had been before. I'm so often too timid when I paint the sky.

I also joined my art group for our sketch morning and we had Beth as a model.
I did a 6 x 8 painting of her.
Beth by Joan Tavolott

I finished before our session was over so I did a quick, tiny sketch in my sketchbook.
This is about 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 and took about 10 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Your clouds paintings are so lovely...keep up the good work. As for your portraits, again so good, so wish I could draw people...heyho, I'll have to stick with a lurcher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clouds Over The Dunes is beautiful, Joan. I am so impressed by your work and love the way you make these faces look so easy-they are difficult for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cloud effects Joan, I know you paint every day anyway but being part of a committed challenge really does make us strive for new and better I think

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous clouds Joan! Your two portraits are really well done too!

    ReplyDelete