Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Sunflower Field (SOLD)

Today my PALS Plein Air group met at a sunflower field that I had scouted out last week.
It was a really beautiful spot, and the rusty truck really was a nice touch.

I was standing near the fence along a fairly busy road while I was painting. This particular field had been written up in the newspaper last week so it is getting more visitors than usual. Quite a few people stopped to take photos of the sunflowers. One woman came over to me and looked at my painting (which was about 1/8th done) and told me it was gorgeous. She wanted to know how long it would take me to finish it and that she wanted it for a gift for her husband's birthday tomorrow. They come to the sunflower field every summer and take pictures. I told her it would probably take me at least another 1 1/2 hrs and she told me not to leave before she got back. I promised her I would be there until at least 12 noon. But you never know if people will return. How many artists have heard those words "I'll be back." But she did return with her daughter and bought the painting. Yeah! She had tears in her eyes when she saw it finished. I did take a photo of it before she took it home. 
Needless to say that made my day!
This is 8 x 10.


Here I am working on the painting.

Since I sold the other painting I decided to do a smaller similar painting before leaving.
This one is 5 x 7.


Here are the other PALS artists at work.

Jeanne

Laurie

Laurie

Linda

Rosamaria

Susan

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic Joan! Great work. Love both sunflower scenes. Love the fact that you sold one! Good for you! Love the photos of your fellow artists!
    Nice post!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm not at all surprised that she wanted it so much -- it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see you all working away. Not surprised you sold this painting it is a masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Joan! Both landscapes are beautiful! How fun to be out there with artists friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds and looks like the perfect day, Joan. I love the painting and I love the 5x7 sized one even more (a little closer up?). Congrats on your on-the-spot sale!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Joan, what a gorgeous painting!! Once again you show just how to deal with a complex tangle of flowers and leaves and, what's more, you have made that old truck look like an integral part of the landscape, as if nature has grown and absorbed it. What a great compliment that someone should want to buy it on the spot. A compliment you fully deserve. Fantastic!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a stunning field of sunflowers, your painting was loved because it was gorgeous,and you were in the right place at the right time for this keen visitor to the area. Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much Michael, Tina, Polly, Celia, Sherry, Kevin, and Lorraine!

    ReplyDelete