Thursday, August 29, 2013

Assorted Sketches

Even when the weather isn't good, I try to get outside to at least do a sketch. This was done down at the Blue Point dock from my car because it was spritizing (not good for watercolors or ink). At this time of year there are always people fishing and crabbing...often with their children. This was done in my Stillman & Birn Alpha Sketchbook with lovely ink that bleeds.


When the weather is good...I try to get down to the beach for at least a few hours. There are always willing subjects standing and sitting around. These next three were all done at Smith Point Beach.


Sometimes I'm close enough to sketch a tiny toddler who may or may not stay put long enough for me to do a sketch. This little lady stayed put for most of the time. I'm still working on a blend to use for skin tones...and they are even harder on children. I try to not be obvious that I'm looking so the parents don't get nervous that I'm watching their child. lol I rarely have anyone notice that I'm sketching them or someone they are with.


And the hardest subject of all at the beach are the gulls. If they come close enough some kids usually chase them.

5 comments:

  1. I think you always get the skin tones just right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the tonal ink piece, Joan. The people watching pieces are fabulous! I know that is something that I just couldn't even attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina - Thanks so much.

    Sherry - Like anything it takes practice. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful sketches, Joan. I love the expression on this little girl...

    ReplyDelete