Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Ice Skaters in Port Jeff

 On Saturday it was pretty cold so my plan was to find an indoor location and hopefully have a view of the outdoors. I remembered that the Village Center in Port Jefferson has an upstairs with huge windows and plush leather couches and it overlooks the harbor. I headed upstairs only to realize that there is a perfect view looking over the Rinx Skating Rink there. The sign upstairs said "No food or drink!" but it didn't say anything about water and watercolors. Sketching moving people isn't easy but they tend to go back into the same positions over and over. The girl in the pink with the long hair would twirl every once in a while, but it was hard to catch her in action so I had to settle for this position. The little kid with the black helmet was a speed demon and was racing around the ice really fast. Of course when I was already finished with him he slowed down and was taking a skating lesson.

When I was finished and putting my belongings back into my backpack a woman approached me from behind. She asked if she could take a photo of my sketch. When I turned around I saw that she was the mother of the little girl in the green jacket who was with her. I think the dad was seated at a table near me, had seen what I was sketching and called his wife on the phone to come up and see it. Of course I let her take the photo and chatted with them for a minute. Sketching creates interesting connections with other people.






5 comments:

  1. You're so good at catching people in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily these figures don't walk away and come back around another time. lol

      Delete
  2. Joan this is amazing! I am the director of the ice skating rink and I love seeing things like this. Would you mind if we shared this on our social media? I would also love to get a copy to have for the office if that is a possibility. Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it. If you are interested in the image you can contact me at joantav3@gmail.com. I couldn't find a way to contact you here.

      Delete
  3. This is such a nice memory for the kids. Love it!

    ReplyDelete