Friday, March 31, 2023

Sketchbook Revival

 I am once again participating in Sketchbook Revival, developed by Karen Abend. It runs from March 20 - April 1, with 2 new sessions released each day. There are 25+ workshop sessions and each is led by a different artist using everything from drawing and painting, to collage and mixed media, to sketching and printing. The lessons help us loosen up, develop our imaginations, practice our observation skills, express our emotions, etc, while also learning about color.

Before the workshops began there was a special lesson about creating our own sketchbooks with removable signatures. I've made a few signatures but I haven't created my cover to bind them. I won't do that until I decide how many of the lessons I actually complete. The sessions are available until April 20. Today is already March 31 and I have barely made a dent in the sessions.

The first session led by Jeanne Oliver is called "Creating in the In-Between." Essentially you are using any spare time in your day to do a gesture sketch quickly in pencil and go back to finish it in color.

 
Mike Lowry's session was on "Doodle Blobs."



Koosje Koene's session was "From Blob to Colorful Drawing." Color was put down with watercolors and shaded with colored pencil.


Helen Wells had us "Exploring Abstract Shapes and Color."



Julie Fei-Fan Falzer had us use gelli plate prints in tones of one color to make a
"Custom Color Collage Grid."


Like I said, I am quite a bit behind. I've watched a few more sessions but I haven't done my piece for the lesson. It is hard to fit these in with everything else that I'm busy doing. But I will do my best to at least do a few more. I will do another post when I have a few more done.


6 comments:

  1. Well done for a variety of themes. It's so nice to see what you've created.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. The collages have been the most fun so far...maybe because they are different from what I usually do.

      Delete
  2. Your collage grid looks cool! Although I thought Doodle Blobs were fun, and I also enjoyed Joy Ting Charde's colorful landscapes, I find I'm not really getting into SB Revival this year as much as I have in the past. And it is hard to keep up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I skipped a few lessons but have watched a lot of them. It is hard to keep up. Today is rainy so I've been able to do a few of them.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you are so ambitious. Good ideas to spur the imagination. I'm so in the rut of traditional stuff. You inspire!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel like I'm in a rut since I don't challenge myself to do anything different. This pushes me a bit.

      Delete