Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Brooklyn Botanic Garden - Part 2

 After sketching in the very hot Aquatic Room I needed to cool off. I skipped lunch and just noshed on some almonds. The cafe was too far to bother walking over. I'd rather be sketching. The plan was to go outside to sketch next. While I was waiting for my friend in the center of the lobby area I decided to do a quick sketch of some of the leaves. There are plants from all over and I remembered to take note of what I was sketching. These leaves belong to a ceriman plant. It is sometimes called a Swiss cheese plant because of the holes in the leaves. They grow mostly in Mexico and Guatemala and produce a large fruit. 

When Suzala was ready we bundled up to head outside. It was windy and not too warm, but the sun kept us from being too cold. I did end up wearing my fingerless gloves by the end of the sketch, but my hat and scarf remained in my backpack. I started with the conservatory and those big windows. I was working in a small sketchbook that is about 3 1/2 x 5 1/2. It was a reasonable size just in case I got cold. But I kept sketching and was comfortable enough to expand the sketch onto the other side of the page. This was done directly in watercolor (quicker than sketching it in pen or ink first). I was able to fit in a bit of the buildings surrounding the garden.


We headed back inside for show and tell but had about 10 minutes before that was starting so we headed into the Desert House which had loads of cacti. I tucked myself into a corner and sketched the cactus that was closest to me. 10 minutes was just barely enough time to capture something.


On our way out of the garden we stopped to check out what was in bloom. Brooklyn is a bit warmer than where we live on Long Island. There were lots of daffodils, hellebores, crocus, etc in bloom. Some of the magnolia trees were starting to bloom and there were some cherry trees with tiny blossoms too. 
I guess Spring is here!


6 comments:

  1. I like that you were able to expand your sketch of the Conservatory and make it seamlessly integrated as one complete view. Such a wonderful day Saturday was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We missed you. I saw that you were at the reception instead.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I had something to take care of at home until noon and it was just convenient to be at the reception instead.

      Delete
  2. What a great outing at the conservatory! I'm impressed by how much you got into the sketch in the small sketchbook, especially with no initial drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are amazing. Love the "huge" panorama in the tiny sketchbook. The leaves are beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete