Monday, March 20, 2023

Brooklyn Botanic Garden - Part 1

 The Brooklyn Botanic Garden was our sketching location on Saturday. It was sunny but windy, but we were hoping that by the afternoon we would be able to sit outside to sketch. My friend, Suzala and I started out in the Aquatic House where there is an orchid collection as well and a variety of tropical wet-environment plants from around the world. I remembered from previous visits that several of the rooms inside the conservancy greenhouse are very warm, so I dressed in layers. I ended up sitting there in a tank top and I was still too warm. Between the radiators making the room warm and the sun shining through the windows I was sitting by, I felt like I was definitely in the tropics.

Some of the orchid blooms were nearly up on the ceiling and were attached to grids and then hanging. They looked really pretty displayed like that.


Here is my painting and the actual view.


Suzala was painting water lilies in a large planter.



3 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful. You have a touch for leaving out what is not important and emphasizing the best parts if you know what I mean. Tells the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I'm learning to edit out what I don't need.

      Delete
  2. Very nice capture of the hanging orchids and the sketcher in the wild!

    ReplyDelete