Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Workshop with Pat Southern-Pearce

Believe it or not, I think I am down to a final post from my trips to Amsterdam and Paris. I am skipping back to Amsterdam for this double-page spread. The first workshop I took in Amsterdam was with Pat Southern-Pearce. She does these wonderful spreads that usually incorporate sketching, lettering, and writing. They are a very unique style and I am not sure how I can incorporate her teachings into my own work, but I am going to attempt it from time to time. One of the important things about Pat's work is that she uses toned paper. For our workshop Stillman & Birn supplied their new 3 toned sketchbooks for us to use...grey, tan and black papers were included in one sketchbook. It was fun to follow along with Pat. She usually begins with a skyline sketch of the area and then includes small sketches (very often in boxes) to show other details of the area. She has a wonderful font of her own that she uses when doing any kind of lettering or writing. I finally finished the spread that I started in her workshop. Yay!!


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great class. I love your page of sketches. I’m sure some of the ideas will develop into your own. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, thanks for the vote of confidence. I can see using this method when I go someplace new.

      Delete
  2. My word but this one sounds complicated! It does make a nice snapshot of an area and I think your sketch is great . Nice work Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks. It does give a nice summary of the area and what is going on.

      Delete