Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Side Trip to Haarlem

Suzala and I did a second day trip, this time to Haarlem. It was also a pretty city with some really nice streets. For some reason I only did two sketches there and this one I already posted. Part of our day was spent shopping for art supplies. It is required that if there is an art store you must see if there is something that you have to have. lol


I did take some photos in Haarlem. This was the parking area for all the bikes for the people who take the train to work...just rows and rows of bikes checked and waiting.


We were sketching across from a building that was built sometime in the 1600s. Later we were told that it was originally a butcher shop for years and years. Inside was a statue of a pig that had been in the original shop. The information we got was from the owner of the restaurant we were sketching next to. He told us all about Haarlem.



Here are a few of the original signs from the businesses that were there.



It wouldn't be the Netherlands without seeing these.





8 comments:

  1. That sketch is a keeper! That's the fun part of discovering a new art supply store...you'll never know what you might like to buy...just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I restrained myself. lol I had no more room in my suitcase.

      Delete
  2. We stayed in Haarlem for 4 days but I never saw the pig or the bike rack you show here! I love your sketch of the street scene. Haarlem was probably my favorite of the places we saw in Holland. I bet I shopped at the same art supply store! All I bought was one eraser. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If we hadn't talked to the owner of the restaurant we wouldn't have known about the pig.

      Delete
  3. It looks like it was a nice side trip and I really like your street scene sketch best of the 2 you did there. The bike rack was super - imagine trying to find your own bike in all of those - wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I really like that one. The bike rack reminded me of the cleaners. lol

      Delete
  4. Joan love your painting of the 1600 year old building. Such history. Your photos were wonderful too. Hope you are having a delightful day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete