Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Nieuwmarket Sketches

Yes, I am finally home from my sketching adventures. I will try to go back and post some of the work that I didn't get to from Amsterdam and Paris...and also visit some blogs. All of that is just too difficult when I'm traveling. I spent some time tonight reading the comments you all have posted on the sketches I did while I was away. Even that isn't easy to do on my iPad when I'm gone.

Anyway there was a very nice square in Amsterdam called Nieuwmarket. Most days there were food trucks and vendors so shopping was fun. On Suzala's last day we headed over there only to find that the market area was being used for part of Amsterdam's Gay Pride Celebrations. They were bringing in beer trucks, constructing a stage and there were workmen all over. We decided to sketch there and since it started to drizzle we tucked ourselves under an overhang from one of the beer stands. This building looked so festive with all the pink, white and yellow balloons. It sort of looks like a Disney castle.


Across the street was a restaurant with some colorful green umbrellas.


5 comments:

  1. Welcome home, Joan! I've mostly kept up with your blog even though I didn't comment much while I was traveling. Have really loved seeing your adventures and especially enjoyed catching up with you in Delft! I didn't spend much time in Nieuwmarket... I wish I'd had more time in Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It never seems like I have enough time where we go.

      Delete
  2. Nice to have you back home Joan and I look forward to seeing more of your work from the trip. These two paintings are great - so full of colour and interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks so much. Both Amsterdam and Paris were inspiring.

      Delete
  3. Home safe and sound, that is great. I really like the colorful sketches here. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete