Sunday, August 25, 2019

Paint the Great South Bay - Part 1 - View from the Garden

This past week I have been participating in a plein air event called, "Paint the Great South Bay." This year we had 40 artists participating. Some of you have done plein air events so are aware of what goes on. Basically we were given geographic boundaries to stay within and we were free to paint anywhere in that area. Paper surfaces and canvases were stamped with the logo of the event and those had to be used for our paintings. We were asked to take photos on location during the painting and when the painting was finished to prove it was actually done on location. Several events were set up so that if you wanted to paint with other artists you could. Last Saturday was the first day of the event and a painting opportunity was set up for the group to do a nocturnal painting in Patchogue Village with most people painting from the park near the gallery. I don't know why it was considered a nocturnal event since we started at 5:30 and I don't think anyone was still there by the time it got dark. lol

I focused on part of the Congregational Church which can be seen from the park. I did most of the painting on Saturday but decided the church needed a shady side on the right so when I was in the area the other day I went back and added some shading to the building.

"View from the Garden" by Joan Tavolott


One of our NYC newspapers sent a reporter and a photographer so they could do an article on "Paint the Great South Bay." Last year I was interviewed and my photo was in Newsday...this year I wasn't interviewed and my photo didn't make it into the paper. :(

8 comments:

  1. Dear Joan - this is a wonderful painting of the Congregational Church - It should have been in the paper :)!! Enjoy your week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and well done. You must have been out of the reporters “walking” area this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That's what happens when I get started late. lol

      Delete
  3. A charming painting Joan and with the photo proof you painted on site - lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. You get a gold star for this one or should i say a gold halo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. I will have to try and keep the paint off the halo. lol

      Delete