Thursday, August 15, 2019

Next Stop Paris

My time in Amsterdam did come to an end and I headed to Paris on the high-speed Thalys train. It only took 3 1/2 hrs and then probably that long to find my way to the correct metro stop for my hotel. lol Of course I couldn't resist sketching on the train on the way there. This mother and daughter were sitting across the aisle from me.


My hotel was on the Ile de la Cite, a small island in the Seine. To get to it I had to walk past Notre Dame which has fencing around it. I did take a photo of it from the front. They seem to be doing a lot of work and making progress. From the front, aside from the spire being missing it doesn't look bad. But then again I couldn't see behind the fence and the bottom of the cathedral. There is a lot of scaffolding inside and toward the back. 


I made plans to meet on of the NYC Urban Sketchers who was also in Paris at the time. She suggested meeting at Shakespeare and Company, a famous bookstore there. I went a little early and sketched the top of the restaurant next to it.


There was an artist there painting and selling her work. I did a very small, quick sketch of her and a customer.


After dinner, Lois and I walked around the Ile de la Cite a bit. There were lots of people picnicking along the Seine.


The sun was starting to set over Paris. 


Being that we were both sketchers we did sit down and do an evening sketch.


My first day in Paris was great!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, what an enviable extension to your Netherlands stay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite an adventure for you Joan. The sketches are great and the restaurant one is so charming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another thank you for taking the time to write these wonderful and interesting posts about your trip. I love your sketches and the stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you have appreciated the posts, Julie.

      Delete