Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Sketching at the Highline in NYC

I'll go a bit out of sequence and post something from this weekend and then catch up with other paintings I did since I've been home from Ireland.

On Saturday the NYC Urban Sketchers were planning to sketch at the Highline in NYC.
This is a beautiful park build above ground on an old New York Central elevated spur. But on Friday we had really heavy rain and they were forecasting that it would continue on Saturday morning. It didn't sound like a good day for sketching.
When I got up on Saturday I went out for my normal 7 am walk and realized it would probably be a nice day to go into the city to join the group.
I didn't want to fight traffic so I drove to Queens and took the subway.

Of course I sketched someone on the subway.

I met up with the group and sketched a few scenes directly in watercolors.




This I did from slightly above the restaurant where we were hanging out in the shade.


They were filming something in that same area. I don't know what they were filming but both characters had faces that were painted white with black designs.


Then I did a few sketches of buildings in the area.

Here are a few photos for those of you who have never seen the Highline.
I'm also including some photos of my fellow sketchers at work.

The park goes under some buildings.



Kids always like watching...sometimes a bit too close 
and Denise was very patient (she teaches art).




I finished the day with a sketch on the subway going back to Queens.













6 comments:

  1. Looks like it was a warm day but overcast. I'm always impressed by how prolific you are, no matter where you go! You must fill up a sketchbook really quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous day! You are always on the go, Joan! How do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan - I loved seeing your part of the world. Never been to NYC but hope to someday. Your sketches are always a delight to see and you inspire me to make sketching a daily habit. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sketches as usual, Joan. I like the highline, it's always fun. Wish I could have gone that day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That restaurant scene is very good! A complex subject well handled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tina - Thanks. I definitely fill them quickly.

    Sherry - I'm like the Energizer bunny. lol

    Debbie - Thanks so much.

    Carol - It is a fun place to sketch...always something going on.

    Kevin - Thanks. I did about 1/6 of the people. lol

    ReplyDelete