Sunday, August 15, 2021

Under the Sea - Part 1

 Yesterday the NYC Urban Sketchers's Virtual theme was "Endless Wonders Under the Sea." We were provided with a wonderful web page designed by one of the members with links to all kinds of videos and photos of things under the sea. I decided to use a page from a sketchbook I had received from two good friends. It is a Stillman & Birn Nova Trio and contains toned papers in three colors: tan, black, and gray. I knew the black world be a fun background for some of the sea creatures I saw in the photos, like this blanket octopus. I used gouache instead of watercolors since it is opaque enough to cover the black. I really like the way this came out.



3 comments:

  1. That looks great on black paper! I have one of those Nova Trio books, too, and I love using the black for night scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always forget to use mine. I liked the effect on the black paper. I'll have to try a night scene.

      Delete
  2. Love the black paper, and perfect for gouache. Really outstanding. Would love to see a night scene.

    ReplyDelete