Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Oyster Bay - Part 2

 The NYC Urban Sketchers have met up in Oyster Bay several times in the past. Down the block from where we meet is a building that was the "Summer White House" when Teddy Roosevelt was President. There is also a famous snack bar there called the Bonanza that serves hot dogs, fries, chili and assorted other "foods" and in addition has a menu of outrageous Italian ices. According to their website they have been serving the community from that location for over 100 years. I just love the quirky look to the building itself, so I found a spot across the street where I could sit and see the line of people waiting that kept changing as I sketched. Of course IRL there is a tree that is pretty much smack in the middle along the curb in front of the stand. I used artistic license and left out the tree since it blocks so much. Then of course there is the obligatory car that always pulls into the space on the corner blocking the view (even though it is a no parking zone). Again I used artistic license and left out the cars. I just hope the car(s) don't stay too long and sketch the people when the cars are gone.

Suzala, our host each time we go, has told me many times that they have the BEST chocolate Italian ices made with Ghiradelli chocolate. I'm not much of an Italian ice person (I prefer something creamy like ice cream) but I do love chocolate. After listening to her rave about them I did finally try one and it was delicious! I was raving about it as we started gathering for show and tell and a few of the other sketchers also went over to indulge. 

Anyway, here is this year's version of the Bonanza stand.



4 comments:

  1. What an inviting summer scene you captured here! There's a nice story presented in your sketch. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh, love this one. I had never heard of flavored ice, here we have snow cones which isn’t close. Today I saw a new “food truck” advertising flavored ice. I’m going to check it out tomorrow! Probably won’t have Ghirardelli chocolate in Bastrop, TX. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to resist a striped awning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joan, love your work. what brings happiness and joy is ice cream stands. We have Ralphs, and I would love to give it a try. Thanks again Joan.

    ReplyDelete