Monday, August 23, 2021

Hibiscus 1

 After my surgery a friend and her husband sent me a hibiscus plant. I had read that these plants require a lot of sunlight...something I don't really get. I put the plant outside on the railing of my patio. There were several buds on the plant that all fell off in a short time. I thought that didn't bode well for blooms, but recently new buds appeared. The first one opened into this beautiful hibiscus flower. I stood outside by the railing and sketched the first flower.  Of course this weekend the forecast was for Hurricane Henri to sweep through our area, so I brought the hibiscus and my two hanging plants indoors for safety. 

A friend told me the hibiscus flowers only last for a day and then they close up and fall off. Luckily when the first flower closed another bud was ready to start blooming. So far I have had three flowers. I was really happy to see this!

Here is the sketch of the first hibiscus flower. I sketched it in my Stillman & Birn Delta Sketchbook.



6 comments:

  1. This came out really great! It brought in mind wonderful memories of my grandmother and her hibiscus plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. I love the flowers and wish they lasted longer.

      Delete
  2. This is so beautiful. Prettier than most photos. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is lovely, Joan! It must have been exciting to see it bloom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how quickly it goes from a small bud to a big flower...impressive!

      Delete