Saturday, August 7, 2021

Shallow Water

On Wednesday the Patchogue Sketch Club met at Swan River Preserve in Patchogue. Looking at the sky it was fairly certain that at some point we would have at least showers. I didn't want to head too far along the pathway just in case, so I wandered over by the train trestle bridge. There is a kayak launch there and rather shallow water where you could see the brown dirt, some rocks and some green algae on the water and the rocks. There were also some dark areas from the leaves under the water and beneath the foliage. Sure enough when I was about 75% finished it started to drizzle very lightly. I was tucked under the overhang from a big tree which shades most of my paper, but I did get some texture from the misty drizzle. Of course when I finally reached a stopping point, packed up my materials (except for the sketchbook which was much too wet), and walked back toward my car the drizzle stopped. Some of the other sketchers had already left but a few were left so we enjoyed sitting around and talking until it got dark. 



4 comments:

  1. This is great! I love everything about it and is now my fave of your sketches by far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. I wasn't sure I could capture everything that was in that water. lol

      Delete
  2. A very different subject for you. This is super fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is OUTSTANDING Joan. I started a painting of my pond a few months back but I’m a bit stuck on what to do next.lol. I definitely want to finish it (you inspired me!!!!)
    This is another favorite…love!!!!

    ReplyDelete