Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Lady Liberty and 30 x 30 Day 4

After Julie's workshop most of us had lunch together and then people headed in various directions for the rest of the day. I walked with one of my friends along the water toward Battery Park. I was looking for a good view of the Statue of Liberty. Jeanette walked with me and took me to an area that I think is part of Robert Wagner Park that had gardens. I thought it would be nice to be able to do Lady Liberty with some flowers in the foreground...it took a while to find a spot and I used artistic license to move the flowers a bit into the painting.


Here are a few sketches I had done on the Long Island Railroad heading into the city.



Here is my 30 x 30 Direct Watercolor painting for Day 4. My plein air group met this morning and I did a quick watercolor sketch of John while he was working on his pastel.
#30x30directwatercolor #directwatercolor2019



11 comments:

  1. The Statue of Liberty is absolutely outstanding Joan. Adding the flowers is beautiful...isn't it wonderful that we can add flowers and color when we want? lol It's my new favorite!! I was in the City last week (Freedom Tower and The Whitney Museum) I never get tired of going to Manhattan. Your sketches are wonderful as well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing the city views is a nice change. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I really love how you framed Lady Liberty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! You inspire me to try watercolor more. Great job on all the folks and the direct painting. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, thanks so much. You should try the watercolor more often.

      Delete
  4. Joan - just love the painting with the Statue of Liberty in the background. You chose the perfect foreground too. Love your direct watercolor painting and the sketches of the people. You are so talented friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thanks so much! It was a fun location to sketch. Have a great week!

      Delete
  5. Wow! Your direct painting of John is great considering there was no drawing - amazing! I like the statue one too - ain't artistic licence great?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, artistic license is a great thing. Thanks, Val!

      Delete