Friday, June 21, 2019

30 x 30 Direct Watercolor - Day 21 - Thornhill's

Thornhill's Rexall is/was a pharmacy on the corner of Main Street and Gillette Avenue in Sayville. Apparently it was an institution in Sayville and anyone who grew up in this area had memories of the pharmacy and the candies and sodas that could be purchased there when they were kids. Something I read said that it had been around when they were a kid in the early 1950s and that the pharmacy had the first telephone number assigned in Sayville. 
I've lived in this area about 14 years, but never had the occasion to enter the store...and then it closed. People were heartbroken and the store stood vacant for  years now. Recently I read that it was finally sold. I don't know what the new owner plans to do with the store but it is attached to a group of store so I don't think it can be torn down. 
I decided I needed to capture it before the sign comes down and renovations are done. Who knows how they will change it... Today was another rainy day so I sat in my mobile studio in the parking lot across the street from Thornhill's to paint my Direct Watercolor Day 31 painting. I do hope I get a chance to get back there and do another version of a painting/sketch of the sign and the corner building. This month the Rainbow flag is flying on all the posts along with the American flag and I wanted to capture that too.
#30x30directwatercolor #directwatercolor2019


4 comments:

  1. Great sketch and idea to capture some history. I like the traffic light addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice idea to save a bit of history through your sketch Joan. I like the touch of the flags too.

    ReplyDelete