Friday, June 28, 2019

30 x 30 Direct Watercolor - Day 28

They were forecasting rain for tomorrow so I figured I had better go out painting today. I went to my favorite place around here, the Pemaquid Lighthouse Park to do my Day 28 Direct Watercolor painting. I found a spot where I had a view of the rocks in front of the lighthouse, but the area had a lot of fog. Of course as I painted the fog slowly cleared so I could see more and more details, and the painting kept changing. lol
#directwatercolor2019 #30x30directwatercolor


I did a second sketch but it is in my sketchbook in the car. I'll post that tomorrow.

After lunch I headed over to this little town called Round Pond. It is one of those towns that if you blink you will pass right through it. I had seen a painting of a building from there when I was at the lighthouse in their art gallery. It looked cute and I thought it would make a nice sketch subject. I drove around and found the building, parked my car, and set up in the shade on my painting chair across the street from the house. It is a mansard roof house which has a sloping, narrowing second floor. 

I painted for a while and then noticed that a man from the house was heading my way. He put something in his car and asked if he could look at what I was doing. We started talking and he told me he owned the house. It looked really small so I asked how many rooms there were, and he said two upstairs and two downstairs. The house was build around 1860. Then he asked if I wanted a tour. He asked me to bring along the painting (which wasn't quite finished) to show it to his wife. They showed me the two small buildings that were outside. They were wide enough to fit a bed from one side to the other and not much of anything else. One little building had a double bed and the other one had bunk beds and a washer/dryer in the room. They said their grandkids like to sleep there when they visit. There was also a two-seater outhouse...and one side was hooked up as a flush toilet.

Inside the house downstairs was a combined living room and kitchen. It had a small stove but no oven or microwave and just enough shelving for what they needed. There was a wood burning stove, a bench use for seating, a bookcase with a lot of books, and a window seat in the bay window. They don't have a TV. Here is a link to an article about the house in a magazine. It is definitely worth looking at it even just for the photos.

From what they said they only come up in the summer from around the 4th of July until Columbus Day. Upstairs was a room big enough for what looked like a double or queen bed, a small closed cabinet for storage and a built-in dresser. They also had a full bath upstairs. The house apparently is very popular and has been in several magazines. We talked for a while and then I went back to finish up the painting.


When I was done I brought the painting back over to show it to them. They wanted to buy it. It was in my moleskine sketchbook so I cut it out for them. We continued talking and they asked if I had seen the lupine field up the road. So the three of us got in their car and took a drive over. It was beautiful with all these mostly blue flowers in this huge field with the cove behind them. Someone had wanted to buy the property and build a big house, but the community got together and had a fundraiser to buy the property to keep it as a flower field. They also took me to see another of their favorite views a few minutes down the peninsula. They had both been teachers in New Hampshire so we had that in common. They were really such nice people. They really made my day!

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story to go along with your now sold sketch of the house! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. I like when there is a story to go with it.

      Delete
  2. Great story! Your sketch probably really made THEIR day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice way to spend the day. Painting on site often gets such interesting responses. Nice work on both sketches Joan and congrats on the sale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks so much. It is nice to have my work appreciated.

      Delete