Monday, June 3, 2019

10 x 10 Workshop with Julie Kessler

Yesterday I took one of the NYC Urban Sketcher's 30 x 30 workshops with Julie Kessler, who is a wonderful artist. Her workshop was called "Look Here: Finding the Center of Interest." Although I have been painting for a long time, I sometimes feel that I lose my center of interest because of all my details. Julie gave us 4 rules for emphasizing a center of interest...value contrast: have the darkest darks and the lightest lights there; color saturation: use your most intense color there; hard edges: use the strongest, sharpest edges there; and detail: it should be the most detailed area and the star of your composition. Julie suggested that when you find the scene that appeals to you, you should give the composition a name. It will help you focus on the center of interest in that composition.

We were at Brookfield Place which is along the Hudson River. It has a marina, restaurants, lots of people, and a view across to New Jersey. Our first "assignment" was to find a spot that attracts our attention and use the 4 rules as we developed our painting or sketch. I focused on a man sitting under an umbrella. He has the most detail and strongest color and the background is less detailed. We had about 45 minutes to work so I didn't get to take this as far as I would have liked.

"Under the Umbrella" by Joan Tavolott

Next we spoke about lines that lead or flow toward the center of interest. This can include the lines of buildings, streets, objects, or people or animals that face the direction of the center of interest.

This time I focused on the fancy ice cream card that was outside. Again I didn't quite have enough time to complete this but I was happy with it.

"Ice Cream Cart" by Joan Tavolott

There were photos taken while we were working and here are a few.

Julie instructing us before sending us off to sketch.

A photo of me beginning my sketch. (Courtesy of Erin Hill)

Me at "show and tell." (Courtesy of Shawne Cooper.)

Shawne Cooper showing her sketch.

The whole group. (Photo courtesy of Erin Hill.)



8 comments:

  1. Too bad I missed out on this one but I enjoyed seeing your group posts and the workshop summary you wrote. It looks like it was so much fun! Great results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. It was a lot of fun and Julie is a great teacher.

      Delete
  2. Great summary of the workshop, Joan, and it looks like from your exercises that you nailed the concepts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, thanks! I will have to practice using that more often.

      Delete
  3. Wow so many interesting points that we all probably knew but mostly forget - lol. Nice work Joan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, you are right. They are not new ideas but we get lax and forget to use them. I know I do.

      Delete
  4. These are great! I always learn from you taking classes. Thanks! Remembering is good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joan loved both of your sketches. The workshop with Julie looks like it was great fun!. It always seems so inspiring when we connect with other artists. Hope your week is off to a good start. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete