Saturday, June 15, 2019

30 x 30 Direct Watercolor - Day 15 & Sketching on 10th Street

Today I had someone ask me how I can be working on such large paintings all the time (30 x 30), so I guess more people than I realize aren't aware that in this case the 30 x 30 stands for "30 paintings in 30 days" not the size of the paintings.
#30x30directwatercolor #directwatercolor2019

Today's NYC Urban Sketching location was 10th Street between 5th Avenue and 6th Avenue, a street of many lovely brownstone apartments. I started with the one at 27 10th Street. The homeowner came out and looked at it when I was just starting and did get to see it finished when he returned. 


After lunch I came back to reality and did my Day 15 30 x 30 painting. Alan was sitting in front of me working on his sketch. I liked the touches of the brick building as well as the typical things seen on the NYC street like the dumpster and parked cars. lol I joked later that I painted Alan from behind so that I didn't have to do two portraits of Van Gogh. Alan was waring artist socks with portraits of Van Gogh on the front.



I had a little bit of time before we were meeting for show and tell, so I sketched another view along 10th Street. This was done directly in ink and then I added the watercolor.


We had a pretty good group. Here are some of us in a group photo taken after lunch.


For our "show and tell" we went to Washington Square Park which was a few blocks away. We had enough room to share our work. So nice person on the lawn offered to take the photo for us.


8 comments:

  1. Great sketches, and I love the socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sketches, group photos and socks. Great way to spend the day! Fun that you share with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so lucky to have such an active group to go sketching with. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. LOL about your "large" paintings! That D2W sketch of Alan was dead-on including the fashionable socks! Great outing and so glad to have joined even for a short while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. It was a fun day. I could have sketched longer but...

      Delete
  4. What fun! The story about the socks was a hoot. I really like the last piece done in pen first - wonderful stairs and railing! Nice work Joan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val, thank you. Alan had American flag socks for the day we sketched in Philly. lol

    ReplyDelete