Thursday, February 23, 2023

The Museum of Natural History

When the NYC Urban Sketchers announced out location was going to be the Museum of Natural History in Manhattan I was so excited! I hadn't been there since 2015!!! Here is my post from that visit. I think it is funny that I returned to two of the same locations in the museum on Saturday.

My friend, Susan and I were first on line outside the museum waiting for it to open. I knew it would be crowded so as soon as we were allowed inside I raced upstairs. Not only was it a Saturday but it was the beginning of President's Week and all the kids have the week off from school. I love the dinosaur room, especially T-Rex but it is very difficult to fit a tyrannosaurus in a sketchbook. I think I missed the last few bones on his tail.lol I found a corner in a raised area where I had a wall behind me and a railing on my left...a good place to sit and sketch where people wouldn't be tripping over me or knocking into me. This sketch took me about 1 1/2 hrs. One of the security guards kept coming over to see how I was doing and loved the sketch. My friend, Ana came into the room and joined me, sitting nearby so we were able to talk and watch each other's property if we needed to get up. A lot of people stopped by to comment on what we were doing and it was fun talking to them.


The sketchers were meeting at noon for lunch but I decided to just keep sketching. It is nice to socialize but breaking for lunch down in the cafeteria takes away too much time from sketching. I knew I could socialize later in the day. Instead of taking a lunch break Ana and I went down to the Hall of Ocean Life to sketch.  This is where the blue whale is displayed. The blue whale model is 94 feet long and very impressive. The setting for it is perfect! Of course the room was very crowded but Ana and I found an out-of-the-way spot to sit. I know that there are many areas of the museum where the lighting isn't really good for sketching so I brought along a light to help me see. I attached it to my sketchbook.


Here I am using my light to help me see what I was sketching. My thanks to Ana for taking this photo.


Here is the sketch I did of the blue whale.


My third sketch was a repeat too. In the area that has African animals there is a display in the center with wonderful African elephant models. I sketched a few of them. This room was also very dim, so my light came in handy again.



At 3:00 the sketchers gathered in the cafeteria downstairs for our "show and tell." I always enjoy seeing what everyone selected to sketch, how they approached their sketch, and what materials they used. Sharing ideas with other artists is so inspiring.






 

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I love all of these! What a treat to sketch at this museum with USk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing. You did so well on detail in the dark. Ha. Wonderful to get out to such a special place with friends/artists!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. I'm glad I brought along my light.

      Delete
  3. Joan your sketches are absolutely wonderful. Glad your friend captured your photo. You are so dedicated and you inspire me always. Love your dinosaur - T Rex. would never have noticed that some of his tail is missing. Glad you had a great day in a special spot. What a change for everyone to gather once again and enjoy each other's company. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, it is really nice to be able to get out with other people that share your same interests. I don't think T Rex minded a little trim. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete