Thursday, February 2, 2023

Brooklyn Museum

On Saturday I drove to meet the NYC Urban Sketchers at the Brooklyn Museum. A friend and I headed up to the third floor to the Egyptian collection. I've sketched their collection before but I had to go revisit it. 


Here is what I sketched back in 2018.

The Brooklyn Museum didn't open until 11:00 so I only had time for the once sketch before our lunch break. The socializing is an important part of the day and sometimes (like Saturday) I got to chat with one of the sketchers I hadn't seen since before Covid. 

Then I headed upstairs to the Canadian Inuit collection in the Art of the Americas gallery. My friend, Mark was already in the room sketching one of two of the house posts on exhibit so I started my sketch there. It slowly grew into most of the room as I sketched a few other items including a baleen whale mask that was on display.


At 3:00 we had "show and tell" down in the lobby. I think we had about 20+ sketchers on Saturday. It is always so great to see the different items that people selected to sketch or how they did the same item I did, but in their own style. When we were done I figured I had enough time to head back upstairs and sketch one more time. In that same room I found a Kachina doll from the late 20th Century created by a Hopi artist.



4 comments:

  1. Good to see you last weekend and very nice to see these finished pieces. Lucky you managed to get a good parking spot on both 2018 & 2023 sketch meets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been there quite a few times but don't always look for street parking and it is expensive to park in that lot. Great to see you there!

      Delete
  2. These sketches are wonderful. I love that you go out with a group and have fun and learn from others. The Kachina Doll is fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I'm glad that I have a group to go out with in the city. It is much more fun that way.

      Delete