Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Boats and a Rickety Building

Yesterday I called the Frank M. Weeks Yacht Yard in Patchogue (see yesterday's painting) to find out if we could paint in the actual boat yard. I've been there before but have always painted from my car. I explained to the owner about the Paint the Great South Bay event and he said he had no problem with some of us coming over to paint on the property. So I contacted some of my fellow artists and we headed over there.

There were a few worn looking buildings and some great boats. Here is where I set up my easel...across from a dilapidated building with lots of character.

I figured out how to set the timer on my iPhone to take a selfie while I was working. It was a cold and damp morning...note the sweatshirt. (I later changed to a fleece jacket.)
While we were painted assorted workmen came over and told us stories about the old buildings and some of the boats.

Here is my completed painting.


Several other artists joined in and painted.

Cindy working on her painting.
Gina painting one of the buildings in pastel.

Cindy trying to keep her painting dry.

You'll notice that Cindy has an umbrella up. It started to rain lightly just about the time I was finishing up my painting so I put it in the car quickly so the watercolors wouldn't get wet. Cindy wanted to at least finish her boat before stopping. I think she was successful with that part but still needed to do the trees.

6 comments:

  1. Rain, cold or shine you guys are better than the post office. Super that the,business got involved. Added to the memory I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nelvia. Most of the businesses have been very supportive of the artists.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Nelvia - you guys are better than the post office - lol. Super job on your building and boat Joan. Do you mask out the white lines,lift them out or paint around them? Which ever way you do it , I am in awe - so thin and straight! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks. We are pretty determined. lol The lines for the masts and railings I painted around. The rigging I did with a white gel pen.

      Delete
  3. Amazing! You are the energizer bunny and a wonderful artist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent watercolor Joan. I love the blue boat against the barn... Barns have always been a favorite!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete