Monday, August 21, 2017

Festival del Amor

The Patchogue Arts Council has been celebrating the Summer of Love all summer long with art shows and events. On Saturday evening they had their "Festival del Amor"and the Patchogue Sketch Club was invited to sketch. A few of us showed up. I only stayed for part of it and my friend and I were there before the flamenco performance started. The stage was set with a large poster and the chairs were covered with lovely Spanish shawls. I did add the guitarist to this page when he started playing.


The flamenco dancers from Sol Y Sombra were really good. Their were 3 women in colorful, tiered dresses and a gentleman in a colorful shirt. The dancing was intense. They each did a solo piece and it was hard to sketch them because they moved so much. These are composites of some of their movements. The bad part about sketching was that it took so long to get the actual sketch and color done that I didn't get to "watch" the performances as an audience member. I wish I had been able to watch more of it and appreciate the dance.


While the festival was going on my friend Amanda Reilly was painting one of her large canvases. Isn't she amazing?





5 comments:

  1. I love flamenco dancers... Wonderful sketches, Joan!!! hopefully you'll get to see them again., That's a canvas? Looks like a wall.. Lol she's definitely doing an amazing job ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilda, thanks. Amanda has done several of these huge canvases.

      Delete
  2. What a fun event! I think your sketches are super Joan and your skill amazing - imagine being able to pull that off with them moving around. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks. Luckily their bodies end up in the same positions several times. That makes it a bit easier.

      Delete
  3. Your little town really gets it. Yiu know I love your sketches. It has got to be hard enough to sketch regular size, but your friend certainly does it BIG. Wow, a big 👏👍 to you both

    ReplyDelete