Monday, August 28, 2017

Morning Painting

This morning I decided to go along the canal in Patchogue to paint my next piece for "Paint the Great South Bay." I texted a friend and asked her if she wanted to join me and then I posted the location on the FB page for the event. Gina and 2 other sketchers joined me there.
#paintthegreatsouthbay

I have sketched the Weeks Yacht Yard several times in the past, but each time the painting was fairly small. This time I wanted to do a panorama of the scene. Here is my setup...


and the final painting.


Here are a few photos of the other artists.

Gina Lento at work.

Larry Johnston capturing the scene.

Rosi Berry at her easel.



8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! And fun to see your setup!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how everyone chose different set ups... And the perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing how other people set up to paint, so I'm glad people are enjoying seeing photos of the other artists.

      Delete
  3. Lovely sketch Joan. I enjoyed seeing all the different set-up for sketching outdoors. I gotta say I like Rosi's cart with the seat - very neat! I hope the weather was cool as you were set up smack dab in the sun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks. Yes, having a setup with a seat helps sometimes, but a lot of the time it helps to stand because you can see over what is in front of you. The sun wasn't too strong yesterday and the breeze made it comfortable. I moved the easel into the shade when I did the sky so I wouldn't get hard edges.

      Delete
  4. Joan , I have been admiring all your work you posted on face book. I am so sorry to have missed this event. I think you're all headed over to Robert Mosses tomorrow. I will try to join you as unofficial participant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great painting and set up. Thanks for sharing all the fun with us. Right up your alley. Applause.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Successful painting and so interesting to see everyone's setup.

    ReplyDelete