Sunday, August 27, 2017

Paint the Great South Bay - Nocturne Painting

I am participating in a week-long plein air event called "Paint the Great South Bay." Artists who sign up have their canvases or papers stamped and then can paint anywhere in the designated areas until next Saturday when they submit 2 pieces of their art done this week for a "wet paints show and sale" in a gallery in Patchogue. 

The event started yesterday and to kick it off we had a nocturne painting session along Main Street in Patchogue. We started at 6pm and some artists were there until 11pm or later. I focused on a clock, some planters and the view across the street toward the Patchogue Theatre.

Here is my painting at the beginning of the night. I had a book light to help me see what I was doing on my paper. It would have helped to have one for my palette too.


I was working at my easel. I think the display window from the store near me added a bit of light for my view too.


Here is the finished painting. I did about 90% of it on site and the rest of the final details at home.


Here are photos of some of my friends that were painting nearby.

Gina Lento was working on the church steeple.

Regina worked on the Patchogue Theatre.

Cindy Fox also worked on the church steeple.

Segundo did a sketch of Main Street.

The event continued today, but I had other plans and didn't participate. Hopefully I will paint somewhere tomorrow.

14 comments:

  1. Excellent! You are amazing to paint in the dark!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really admire the way you paint at any place or time. Your night painting is an example of being willing to explore and grow. Amazing. You really are a true artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo of you while painting is great because it really shows the concentration needed for this challenge. Beautiful painting, I love the foliage and the brick building makes a great backdrop especially the texture you captured so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celia, thank you so much. It did take a lot of concentration. It is even harder in the dark. lol

      Delete
  4. This is one of your best Joan!!! I love the foliage in the foreground....the clock is amazing.. And wonderful brickwork!!! I passed through the same area yesterday on my way to Greenport.... It was the perfect day for painting.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joan your painting is just amazing. I have to echo Julie's comment about how you can paint anywhere at any time. Beautiful example of your great talent friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. I think urban sketching has made me fearless. lol

      Delete
  6. My word what a difficult scene to paint - a street scene at night!. Good job Joan and you looked so intense while working which is so understandable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks!!! By the end of the night my eyes were straining.

      Delete
  7. wow! that would be quite a difficult task - outdoor painting in the dark!!! And it looks like you all do such excellent job!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like sketching on the street isn't enough of a challenge, now you add darkness. Brave girl

    ReplyDelete