Friday, August 25, 2017

Summer Concert

On Wednesday the last of the summer concerts were held in Gillette Park in Sayville. The band, Seven Turns, an Allman Brothers tribute band was playing. They were pretty good and the crowd love them. I wish I could post these sketches side by side because that's how I drew them...but on separate pages. 

I got to the park around 6:15 and I started with the audience sketch before the concert started because I knew by 7:30 it would be nearly dark. I didn't sketch everyone...just a sample of some interesting poses. Once the band started playing I knew I had to sketch them too, so I moved to the left side of my Stillman and Birn Beta sketchbook. There was a sketch on the other side of the page, but the paper is good and nothing showed through. It got dark before I was finished but I had brought along a book light to use which helped a lot. (My friend Gina had the idea to bring a book light the last time we sketched there, so my thanks to her for a good idea.) I am real happy with the way these came out!



9 comments:

  1. Ah, my favorite subject -- musicians! Great job sketching in the dark! I've used a book light in concert halls -- great idea!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book light works well. Lots of musicians there.

      Delete
  2. I love the summer concerts on Long Island!!! I always enjoy them... Especially that all I have to do is walk down the block to the beach to see the concerts. Wonderful sketches!!!! It sounds like a wonderful evening!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun time, Hilda. Music and sketching go well together.

      Delete
  3. Dear Joan - both sketches are amazing. Nothing more delightful than a summer concert out under the stars. Great idea about the book light too. Hope you have a great weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debbie. Too bad the summer is ending and the outdoor concerts too.

      Delete
  4. So very nice Joan and the book light is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great sketches and story. Well planned.

    ReplyDelete