Thursday, August 31, 2017

The Farm

For my Paint the Great South Bay location yesterday I went to a local garden center/farm stand called "The Farm" on Lakewood Avenue in Sayville.  I have sketched this spot several times in the past but the area where you can paint is small so usually I just sit in my car to paint so I won't be in the way of the customers. I did stop there the other day to buy tomatoes and asked the man behind the counter if I could come an paint. I explained what the event was and he told me it was fine to come during the week, Wednesday being their quiet day.

Since it was a small area I was glad that no other sketchers joined me. I think we might have been in the way. I thought I knew what I wanted to paint, but then I saw this display with sunflowers just calling to be painted. I introduced myself to the lady that was there who turned out to be one of the owners. She was very sweet and told me I could paint anywhere and if I wanted her to move things around she would happily do that. Here is the view I decided to paint.


And here is the finished piece. The owner liked it so much she bought it immediately. That always makes a plein air day extra special. Since the painting was done as part of Paint the Great South Bay I will pay a sales commission to the Patchogue Arts Council who is running the event.


She had some beautiful hibiscus that were as big as dinner plates. lol


While I was painting my friend, Michele DePaolo came to see what I was up to and took this photo of me while I was working. A celebrity also visited while I was there...Michael Kors the designer stopped by. He looked familiar but I didn't realize it was him at the time. The owner asked me if I had seen him.


8 comments:

  1. Congrats on your instant sale!! A very colorful painting!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tina. I like locations like this.

      Delete
  2. What a super little sketch and how nice that the owner bought it right away - always a bonus. It is always so nice to follow your adventures Joan - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan I certainly can see why the owner would want that painting. It turned out so lovely. The sunflowers would have been my choice to include also. Take care and happy painting friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off congrats on the sale of a really neat picture. How fun is that. It is a really cheerful scene. I guess celebs tend to stay to themselves when they can.

    ReplyDelete