Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Friday Afternoon Workshop - James Richards

I have to explain to you how tired I was last night. I was writing yesterday's post on my laptop while I was sitting on the couch. I fell asleep with the laptop open and the page unfinished. I probably slept for about a half hour before I woke up and finished the last of it. Then went to bed where I stayed until 9:30 am when the phone woke me up. lol I'm usually awake by 7 am.

On Friday afternoon, I had a workshop with James Richards called "Grand Illusion: Achieving a Dramatic Sense of Depth. I've followed him for a while and have done his Craftsy class. He had us separate our sketch into a foreground, middle ground, and background, each in a separate box like this.


Then we combined the elements to make an ink sketch. I forgot to take a photo of the sketch but here it is after painting it. Again, this is not completely finished. I definitely need to add darks to the body of the lion and some shadows on the pavement and elsewhere. I will try to remember to post all the ones that I do more work on.


Here are a few photos from the workshop.

James doing a critique.


James giving me some pointers.
The whole class.

I know I haven't visited blogs since I left. I promise to get back to that and catch up on all you have been doing too.


5 comments:

  1. You must have been quite a sight walking and sitting around wot your sketch books. This class sounds like it was very interesting. Do people stop and watch or just walk by?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This class was great and very practical. People do stop and watch. There were sketchers everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! Your sketch came out really beautiful, what a great class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for slowing down, you will soon be back to normal , can't burn the candle so much any more. This is a pretty neat technique and am going to try it. Helps you get your three planes in line. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great one of you and James. What exhausting fun!!!

    ReplyDelete