Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Portraits Galore

At the beginning of next month the NYC Urban Sketchers will be having our annual Portrait Party. Here's a link to last year's event. We divide up the members into groups and each person in your group takes a turn posing...for 10 minutes only. You have to capture them in 10 minutes on a 8 x 10 piece of watercolor paper in a medium that will stand out from far away so when they are displayed on the floor in a grid everyone can see them. I started practicing last night and did a few practice sketches of Gerri our model this morning at portraits. Then I did a longer pose of her.

These were done last night using a Tombow marker and my watercolors. I think that is what I will use because the Tombow bleeds in a bit with the watercolors. I did a very quick sketch in pencil first to sort of place the features. Except for the one of me, these were all done from photos...mostly mine, but MLK was done from one on the internet.

MLK

Me

My nephew, Joe

My friend, Jeanne

I forgot to bring the Tombow with me to portraits this morning so I used a black brush pen, but it didn't work as well as the brown Tombow. I wish the person who organizes the models didn't let them read while they are sitting. I hate sketching people with their eyes closed. I'll have to suggest that we have a certain amount of time to sketch them looking up before they start reading. 



Here is Gerri's longer pose.





4 comments:

  1. These portraits are all so impressive Joan. I think you did a great job on MLK and the skin tones on the longer pose of Gerri is really good. You should do more portraits....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Hilda. I don't do them very often but they are fun once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Joan. I can see why you like the Tombow as it gives a great effect. The portraits of the people from photos are much nice than the one with the models reading - eyes make such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, the eyes have it! Great work, you are a portrait star.

    ReplyDelete