Thursday, January 17, 2019

Horses

The Patchogue Sketch Club met at the Pat/Med Library last night and our theme was horses. It was not my favorite theme and I had no horse figurines to bring in. I find horses very difficult to draw. Two of the members have collections of horse figures. Pat's were bought as toys when her kids were younger, but Gina collects them and has done model horse shows for years. When I got to the library Pat was already there and must have had about a dozen horses lined up on the table. Not one to sketch the ordinary, my eyes went to "Old Paint" immediately. He looks like a skinny, starving, bony horse and I immediately sat down nearby to sketch him.


Pat told me that  Old Paint belonged to her uncle and it was on display in his house for years and years. She has no idea where it came from. When her aunt and uncle had both passed away her brother inherited the house and he asked Pat if she wanted anything from the house. The only thing she wanted was Old Paint and he has been on display in her house ever since.

This second sketch is of a horse that Pat bought in Sweden. I liked that it was so colorful.


Here are a few photos of us working and you can see the number of horses we had to choose from for sketching.



8 comments:

  1. I love the old horse I really love doing art from things like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanne. I know you love that kind of figure for a model.

      Delete
  2. Such fun sketches Joan. Old Paint is a hoot. I am with you in not doing horses - so difficult to get right and if they aren't right they look really bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val. I avoid horses in person and on paper. lol

      Delete
  3. Joan, these are perfect. You caught the gesture and shape very well. I love horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, thanks. I think horses are beautiful animals but I find them very hard to sketch.

      Delete
  4. LOVE the horses Joan. You did a great job on Old Paint..., I would’ve been like Pat and chosen him.... excellent display of these horses....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such fun sketches with personality. I would have loved this! I sketched horses from a very early age. When I came back to drawing decades later, I found it all came right back. I knew the confirmation of horses so well my hand just drew them!

    ReplyDelete