Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Sally

Sometimes I get a good likeness when I do portraits but today that didn't happen. I did a quick 10 minute sketch of Sally first. Then I attempted a real portrait. Sally organizes our Tuesday morning group and when we have no model she often volunteers to sit, so I've sketched her quite a few times. As I look at this I can see that I made her face and especially her nose too long. Also her hands are too small in proportion to the rest of her. She had a lovely parasol with her that wouldn't stay open and was so difficult to sketch with all those folds. As I've said before I show what I've sketched each day...the good and the bad.



7 comments:

  1. I really appreciate that you show everything, whether you like it or not! Day in, day out, we keep learning from our daily sketches, and that's what matters. I'm going to take a portrait workshop in March... I'm kind of nervous! Have never done any portrait drawing before (except selfies). I admire your regular practice on this challenging subject with your group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. I know I will never be a portrait artist, but it is great practice and teaches me to observe differently.

      Delete
  2. Dear Joan - your sharing is always wonderful. I think sketching people from life has to be so difficult. Proportions really seem to matter more with faces. Thanks for coming to visit me too. Bet you are holding on as well. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debbie. The quick ones seem to come out better for me. lol

      Delete
  3. Such tough subjects - people and umbrella! I think it is great that you share the good and the bad, Joan as so many artists just toss the bad . It helps to be ableto look back and figure out mistakes - how do we grow if we don't pay attention?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thank you. It is good to let other people realize that everything doesn't always come out quite the way it should. lol

      Delete
  4. Seems like we sometimes overthink when we have more time. You did well and learned something.

    ReplyDelete