Saturday, January 12, 2019

Transit Museum

Today the NYC Urban Sketchers met at the New York Transit Museum in Brooklyn. After walking around a bit I decided to sketch these replicas of trolly cars. Although they don't run on the streets of NYC any longer you can find some tracks in certain places.


Right in the same area there were several buses that people could sit in and climb on. The little kids especially loved sitting behind the steering wheel and pretending to drive.


I headed downstairs by the tracks. There were a number of old subway cars parked at the platform that you could check out and sit in. My favorite was an old one with rattan seats. I remember that kind of train car when I was a teenager and we would take the A train to Rockaway Beach. I decided not to sketch down there...it was cold...almost like being outside. Inside I headed back upstairs and sketched this old, wooden turnstile. The sign on one end said entrance 10 cents and entrance 5 cents on the other end. I wonder if you had to pay a fare coming and leaving.


Another one of the sketchers took a photo of me sketching there. Thanks, Win!



8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love these nostalgic sketches of trains and a bus from another era. Surely, that museum is a gem to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. I wish there were more real vehicles instead of models. I didn't think it was a place I would go back to.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful sketches, and what a fun museum! You guys have all the fun in NYC!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a lot of fun for the kids running around. Most of the sketchers said they wouldn't go back.

      Delete
  3. Such a wonderful find of a place to sketch. You did so well in recording some history. You have wonderful sketch journals. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, thanks so much. It was a bit too crowded for sketching.

      Delete
  4. the sketch of 19/13 is wonderful Joan - so complicated! And the kids in the bus is darling. It seems like a good place for history and for sketching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val. I should have walked around a bit more and been more of a tourist rather than just sketching. It was too crowded to enjoy.

      Delete