Friday, January 18, 2019

A Touch of Snow

Here on Long Island we are at the beginning of a weather even that should last through the weekend. Overnight we had about a half inch of snow which was supposed to change to rain. (It didn't.) My plan was to work on a few indoor projects but I kept thinking about that touch of snow outside and headed out for a little bit. I took along a 4 x 6 pad of Strathmore Blue Toned Multi Media paper and my gouache. It was hard to find a spot that still had any snow, but there is a wooded area nearby where you can park and there is usually some snow either on the trees or on the fallen branches. I wasn't disappointed.


9 comments:

  1. Wow, that's really nice on the toned paper, Joan, and the gouache was a good strategy! Much more effective than trying to save out that little bit of white.

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love using the gouache for the whites of the snow. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Very nice Joan. The tones paper really works well for this time of year and the white really makes the whole scene wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Val. I like the way the toned paper and the gouache work together.

      Delete
  3. Oh I love this Joan. You captured the snow on the limbs perfectly. I have never tried to do this with painting snow. Will have to give it a try. Looks like this weekend we will have lots of opportunity. They are saying we will have up to 10 inches or so. Hope you stay safe and warm...hearing you are to get some of this storm as well. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Debbie. I think we are supposed to get more rain than snow, but the cold temps will make everything icy. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well done! I like the touches of white gouache and the texture of the trees. Winter scene indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this painting....One of my favorites of yours....WELL DONE!!!

    ReplyDelete