Saturday, January 26, 2019

Chelsea Market

The NYC Urban Sketchers met to day at Chelsea Market on 14th Street and 9th Avenue. I hadn't been there in quite a while and it has changed tremendously! It is probably at least 3 times as large with lots of restaurants and shops...and lots of people too. Due to the cold weather there were a lot of people happy for an indoor location to spend some time. When I first got there I walked all the way through it to check out possible scenes. Chelsea Market Baskets was all the way in the back and lucky for me had some tables right across from it where I was able to sit and paint.


My second sketch was done standing up looking through the market. The building itself is a lot of brick with an industrial look. By this time there were a lot of people milling about.


Back toward the front of Chelsea Market was a beautiful shop called Bastille that sold beautiful, cut flowers.



6 comments:

  1. I like the composition of the big baskets and the sign above. Looks like a colorful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Aside from the crowds it was a fun place to sketch. I could have stayed and done one or two more. lol

      Delete
  2. What a great place to go sketch. Looks like you could go many times and find something new. The baskets look like they are from South America. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were many, many subjects to sketch. I could easily go back again. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Wow - what a great location. The basket shop sketch is super Joan and the second one of the market done while you were standing is fantastic. You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Val. Luckily when I was doing the sketch standing up I had a high table by one of the eating areas that was against the wall with just enough room to squeeze behind it and stay out of the crowd.

      Delete