Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Colored Ink Sketches

Yesterday I went down to the Bellport dock and did some small sketches in colored inks. I recently received some pen products from Zebra Pens to try out and give them some feedback. This was the first time I worked with these pre-filled fountain pens.  They are Zebra Zensations fountain pens, 7 different colors in a package. They are very vibrant colors. 
After working with them I found they are water-soluble to an extent. Once the ink is touched by water and it dries the ink is set and can no longer be activated. I had sketched in the sky in blue and wet it and it blended nicely. In spots that were still dry I added what is sort of a magenta color and let that blend too. When the sky was dry I added the other details like the thin branches. The tree trunks were touched with water so they are set but if I add any water to the thin branches at the top they will bleed. They were fun to work with, but I wish there was a yellow or brown earth toned ink included. I did cheat a little in the sketch of the building. I did the light poles with my Lamy pen with permanent ink so they wouldn't bleed into the sky. 





This is how I arranged the page in my sketchbook.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, those are vibrant! I love how sunny the sky looks! Not exactly watercolors, but interesting to be able to do this with pre-filled fountain pens. Must be like the Varsity fountain pens... I have a few of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Some of them may be fun for single color sketches in the future.

      Delete
  2. Nice sketches Joan. the colours are definitely vibrant. Maybe they will take your recommendation and add a yellow and brown to the pack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colors. The pieces look very exciting and rich.

    ReplyDelete