Thursday, March 22, 2018

Snow Update and Napper Tandy's

The forecast was correct, although the snow didn't really get heavy until about 6 pm and then it was coming down at the rate of an inch or two an hour for a while. By morning it was gorgeous with heavy clusters of snow on everything. I went out with my yardstick and measured by my front patio where it was over 13 inches. There was more on the side of the building where my garage is located..maybe 15 inches.

Here is a photo I took last night when it was really snowing heavily.
A view of the snowstorm from my front door.

These photos were taken this morning.

My pots of chives waiting for spring to arrive.

The parking lot in our complex.

The cars parked in front of the two garages next to mine. They use their garages for storage. I use mine for my car.

Luckily the temperature hit 50 degrees today with a lot of sunshine, so a great deal of the snow is melted already. I went out early to paint a snow scene before the snow fell off all the trees. I'll post that in a few days.

Meanwhile last Friday I was in Bay Shore along Main Street and Napper Tandy's with it's rich, red front just screamed to be sketched. I'm sure on Saturday it was a whole lot more active for St. Patrick's Day.


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful snow, good it didn’t hang around too long. Love the Irish pub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. The snow is melting quickly...I'm glad.

      Delete
  2. That's a cool building -- did it really used to be a fire department? Oh, you poor Easterners. . . I'm so over winter, and it's not even that bad here (though we do have a chance of snow tomorrow)! Feel bad for you guys! And it goes from snow to 50 degrees in one day?? Crazy!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tina. Yes, it was once a fire department. The snow is melting since the temps are pretty warm. But those big piles will be here for a long time.

      Delete
  3. I think this is why I Love New York. The change in seasons are amazing...especially when I see these photos. Suffolk County got a lot more snow than Nassau. This morning, I look outside and you would never know we had such a bad storm.! Excellent sketch ...love the colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how the snow totals are so different...even between here and Patchogue which is only 10 minutes away. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. You got some super snow photos, Joan. I especially like your comment about using your garage for your car - no shoveling there for you. I really like the reflections of the trees in the windows of your painting but I have to ask - what are the black and green things inside the store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The black and green is a reflection of the canopies and windows that were across the street.

      Delete