Thursday, March 15, 2018

Snowy View...Storm #1

We have had a few snowstorms, or nor'easters as they keep calling them. The first one brought us here on the south shore about 6 inches of snow and a lot of flooding because the storm arrival coincided with extremely high tides. The snow was heavy and wet and caused a lot of power outages because of the weight of the snow pulling down tree limbs and electric wires. My neighborhood was very lucky and didn't have any serious problems. 

This was painted from my car in the parking lot of a local park in Sayville. I used gouache and my gray toned Strathmore sketchbook.


9 comments:

  1. A nice composition of trees! Relieved to hear the "Nor'easters" didn't give you too many problems. I really hope spring is on its way to you! I'm sure you've had more than your share of winter!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. Every time they say nor'easter I shudder. lol

      Delete
  2. Pretty! The gray paper worked well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. I really like it for snow scenes. Too bad it buckles a bit.

      Delete
  3. I like all the colours you put in the tree trunks - nice contrast with the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully painted, Joan! I LOVE the way you paint snow!! You got hit pretty hard. I didn't get too much this time....we did get the heavy winds!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilda. This was painted after the first nor'easter. We didn't get as much from the last one.

      Delete
  5. It's great to have a good view for your creation inside the comfort of your mobile studio. Nice zig zag lead arrangement of trees!

    ReplyDelete