Saturday, March 3, 2018

30 Day Challenge Wrap-Up

As a culmination of the "30 Paintings in 30 Days" Challenge Leslie Saeta asks the participants to create a collage of their paintings from the month. I always find creating the collage harder than doing the 30 paintings. lol I was nearly done loading my paintings to create my collage on picmonkey.com when I hit something and the number of boxes changed. I was not willing to start over, so my collage is missing a few of the paintings from my challenge. I hope you have enjoyed following my last 30 days!

Today everyone should be posting their collages and you can see them here.

All my paintings were done with gouache for this challenge. It was a medium I had only worked with a few times before and I thought it would be a good way to get more familiar with the material. Gouache is similar to watercolors yet different. Depending on how you use it you can get different effects. It can be used nearly dry or very wet, nearly fresh out of the tube. 

Many people paint from dark to light with gouache. At times I did that but more often than not my watercolor background reared its head and I worked from light to dark. I sometimes used the gouache very transparently and sometimes very opaque (on the rooster and the avocado). I liked that when I needed to I could cover up something with the gouache, but that usually had to be done with a much thicker amount of paint. It is great for highlights and lighter areas. Although I didn't include any of my portraits in the collage, the gouache worked better for those than watercolors. The skin tones were much easier to do in gouache.

Will I continue working with gouache? Sometimes, but I am looking forward to being able to just do ink sketches or watercolors for a while, so I think the gouache may take a rest for a while.

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing the challenge. Great collection of paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are amazing! My favorite is the avocados .. or the red barn .. or the ice cream store .. or the …..you get the idea. A great accomplishment. Applause and a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on finishing the challenge Joan - you did some really super pieces in the last 30 days. I find it interesting the the gouache hasn't replaced watercolours in your heart. Time to get back to normal, I guess. Oh wait - now you are going to sketch 100 people - wow!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following along, Val. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful collection Joan! Thanks for sharing your experience with gouache. I have wanted to try it. Happy painting to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great together like this! And it's interesting to hear what your process was like. I'm sure it took a while to get used to gouache, since it's kind of backward compared to watercolors. I can see that the opacity would definitely have advantages, but I bet you missed the transparency (which is what I love so much about watercolors). Anyway, congrats for finishing!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina...now on to the 100 People Challenge. lol

      Delete